National Artisan Food Awards 2018
UPDATE ON 6TH June 2018
Closing Date for Entries has been extended until Tuesday 19th June
Please note the following:
- Entries are to be made on official entry form (link from this website)
- On receipt of your entry form we will communicate with you regarding the judging process. Please note it will not be necessary for you to be at the judging in person; products for judging will be received by post / courier or in person the day or two before judging depending on nature of product etc.
- Judging will take place on Sunday 24th June by our panel of judges as outlined below.
- Prizes / awards will be presented by Darina Allen of Ballymaloe Cookery School at Clonmel Show on Sunday 1st July.
- First prize winner in each class will win a beautiful Clonmel Show Artisan Food Awards trophy, a rosette and cash prize.
- Rosettes and cash prizes for 2nd and 3rd place in each category.
- Any entry reaching a certain score to be decided by the judging panel will be eligible to receive a Gold, Silver or Bronze award that can be used on your product subsequently for indication of quality achieved.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO RECEIVING YOUR ENTRIES…THE BEST OF LUCK!!
The Clonmel Show National Artisan Food Awards 2018
Clonmel Show & Agricultural Society Ltd. are delighted to announce the introduction of a new national food competition to be based at Clonmel Show. The Clonmel Show National Artisan Food Awards 2018 is aimed at truly artisanal food producers and will bring a substantial change to the level of food related competition at Clonmel Show which runs every year on the first Sunday of July.
The Clonmel Show & Agricultural Society is a registered charity and is run by a voluntary committee of management. In 2015 we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the first agricultural show held in Clonmel. A widely acclaimed exhibition in Tipperary County Museum which ran for much of that year highlighted the long history of the exhibition of agricultural produce at Clonmel Show. The society’s rule book which dates back to 1924 lists as the first of our objectives: “To promote the improvement of horses, cattle, sheep, swine…..agricultural produce, creameries, bee-keeping, cottage and other industries.”
In furtherance of this aim, the Clonmel Show National Artisan Food Awards 2018 will bring together for judging produce from genuine artisan producers whose business has a turnover of less than €100,000 per annum in the following categories:
- Sauces / condiments
- Dairy produce
- Chilled meat / fish products
- Non-alcoholic bottled drinks
There will also be a more open class entitled “Modern Irish Artisan Foods”
Our hope is that we will offer an opportunity for truly artisan food producers to have a forum to show their produce and compete in a national competition against their peers. Although there are many established food awards in Ireland to date, we are not aware of any that target this particular group. Exhibitors will need to fulfil the criteria established by the FSAI for artisan food production, namely:
- The food is made in limited quantities by skilled craftspeople
- The processing method is not fully mechanised and follows a traditional method
- The food is made in a micro-enterprise at a single location
- The characteristic ingredient(s) used in the food are grown or produced locally, where seasonally available and practical
Please see FSAI guidelines at
https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/marketing_terms_14052015.html for accurate information in this regard.
Finally, food producers entering the competition will need to have a business turnover of less than €100,000 per annum.
Entries will be accepted on the official entry form which you will find here. The form can be posted to the show or scanned and e-mailed; details are on the entry form.
Entries will open on Wednesday 16th May 2018 and will close on Tuesday 19th June 2018.
Food for competition will be received during the week of June 18th to 23rd with exact details to follow.
Judging in all classes will take place on Sunday 24th June with presentation of prizes to successful entrants at Clonmel Show on Sunday 1st July 2018.
We are delighted to announce our judging panel for this inaugural year of the Clonmel Show National Artisan Food Awards as follows:
- SARAH FURNO is the second generation of the Grubb family to produce world famous and multi award-winning Cashel Blue Cheese
- KEVIN THORNTON, a proud son of Tipperary, is a well-known Michelin starred chef, food writer and now proprietor of Kevin Thornton’s Kooks
- JASON MATTHIA is chef / proprietor of Chez Hans Restaurant, Cashel, Co Tipperary & recent winner of Best Chef in Tipperary in Irish Restaurant Awards
- RICHARD GLEESON is chef / proprietor of Dooks Fine Foods, Fethard, Co Tipperary & recent winner of “Best Newcomer” in Munster in Irish Restaurant Awards
- CON TRAAS, The Apple Farm, Cahir, Co Tipperary is alecturer in University of Limerick and Tipperary Food Hero. He is currently chairperson of Tipperary Food Producers
The overall winner in each class will receive a Clonmel Show National Artisan Food Awards trophy. There will be cash prizes and Clonmel Show rosettes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each class. Gold, silver and bronze awards will also be awarded to entrants who meet particular standards to be set by our judging panel.
We are delighted to announce that DARINA ALLEN of Ballymaloe Cookery School will be at Clonmel Show on Sunday 1st July to present prizes to winners of the artisan food awards.
For more information on any aspect of this competition, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to answer your queries promptly.